Thursday, September 4, 2008

Rough Landing

Bags are packed.

My first meal in China was at KFC.

My plane arrived in Beijing with a thud. The passengers let out a collective gasp and then began nervously laughing. Luckily that was the only part of my day of traveling that didn't go smoothly. I made it to my hotel with all my bags and quicker than scheduled.

There is definitely a noticeable haze in Beijing but I couldn't tell from just breathing when walking around; running may be different, although everybody was riding around on bicycles and I did notice one person jogging yesterday. When riding from the airport to my hotel in the taxi yesterday I realized how sprawling Beijing is. It's hard to tell where the main part of the city begins as large buildings sprout in clusters in several different locations. The architecture of these buildings was fairly monotonous with the same drab, austere layout that resembles a military barrack only taller. I haven't been able to see any of the new buildings yet. The weather was pretty hot and muggy and we had a short shower later in the day.


All the people I've met have been very friendly, especially one Chinese lady on the airplane who spoke fluent English that helped me with getting a taxi. The hotel, which cost 50 something dollars a night, had a friendly staff with a bell boy that carried my bags to my room. I got to walk around campus and spoke to some people who reserved my dorm room for the semester. All in all a good start to my trip but very tiring. I fell asleep at about 730 last night and didn't get up until 730 this morning. Classes won't start until Monday so I'll just be getting acclimated over the weekend. I think people can comment on this blog (not sure how it works) but I hope you all will comment or email me to keep in touch. My schedule isn't set yet as far as classes so I don't know how long I'll be able to keep this blog going but we'll see.

2 comments:

cathie said...

Jake, I think we are signed in now. Have you sent this blog to everyone or do you need me to send it out? Great talking to you. Dad

Barbara said...

Hello Jake; Certainly enjoyed reading your first blog comment. This will be very interesting for all of us.
Your dad got to Albany this a.m. at 8 and we headed out to Monticello for breakfast. Then on to Wal-mart for a little shopping that I needed to do. We are back home now.
As you know, it is your dad's 53rd birthday, and we are honored to be able to spend the day with him.
Will be keeping in touch this way as often as possible. Take care, and enjoy every minute of your time in China. We love you. G/G